Salisbury Cathedral is located in the city of the same name in Wiltshire, and is widely regarded as an excellent embodiment of the early English style. Officially known as the Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary, it has many unique features in its architecture. Today, the building's grounds are a haven of peace with open green lawns and quiet streets surrounding the cathedral, with a harmonious mix of medieval and elegant dwellings.
History of Salisbury Cathedral
The first stone of the foundation was laid by Bishop Pur in 1220. The construction of the monastery began in 1240, and the beautiful Chapter House in 1263. A free-standing bell tower was added in 1265. This bell tower has long since disappeared, the victim of reconstruction carried out in the late 18th century by the architect James Wyatt. Bishop Pour needed clergy to carry out work in the cathedral, and he invited priests, clerks, canons and older clergy. He gave them plots of land near Salisbury Cathedral and along the river bank. The lower clergy were allocated one and a half acres for the construction of homes, and the senior clergy twice as much.
Salisbury Cathedral was built between 1220 and 1258 in a style now called Early English Gothic. This style emphasized height and lightness and, compared to the bulkier and heavier buildings of the 11th and 12th centuries, was quite revolutionary. Most great churches developed slowly over the centuries, resulting in a complete structure encompassing a variety of architectural styles. Uniquely, Salisbury was built almost to completion in one generation. The resulting Salisbury Cathedral building is a unity of style that is both satisfying and evocative of an era of English architecture.
Burials under Salisbury Cathedral
Salisbury is home to many intriguing medieval tombs. Here is the tomb of William Longspey, the first person to be buried in the cathedral. Indeed, the marvelous tomb of Mompesson, which contains beautifully colored images of Sir Richard Mompesson and his wife Catherine, pales in its splendor next to that of Sir Edward Seymour. It is strongly elongated and consists of gilded marble. Sir Edward married Catherine, sister of Lady Jane Grey, and their images are next to each other under a wonderfully carved canopy.