Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin
Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin is the most important attraction and the oldest part of Nizhny Novgorod. The fortress, like the city, was erected to protect the country's border.
In 1221, Prince Vladimir Yury Vsevolodovich laid Nizhny Novgorod, whose protection at first was the fortifications of wood and land. In the 16th century, Nizhny Novgorod became an important stronghold in the Moscow war against the Kazan Khanate, so in 1500 the construction of the Tverskaya ( now Kladnova ) tower began. Construction in 1505 interrupted the unsuccessful siege of the city by Khan Kazan Muhammad-Amin. Construction resumed in 1508, and in 1513, oak Kremlin burned down during a fire. The construction of the protein-changed Kremlin itself ended somewhere in 1516. The Kremlin was besieged in 1521, 1536 and 1574, but could not take it. In 1697, he lost his significance as a protective fortress.
The total length of the walls of the Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin is 2 kilometers, which guard 13 towers. In the Kremlin there was a permanent garrison with small-caliber fortress cannons, about 20 pieces. In addition to the guns, enemies were shot with food, and gunpowder and cold weapons were stored in the basements, in case the enemy still breaks through the defense. Under Catherine II, the Kremlin was repaired, during which the walls were whitened, the roofs of the towers were painted over and the moat was poured, which is why the towers began to flood with groundwater and they began to collapse.
By the way, there are many legends around the Koromylovaya tower. According to one of them, during the siege of 1520, the Tatars at night crept into the walls, but met a woman walking for water. Seeing them, she attacked the king and killed ten, but one of the enemies hit her with a sword. Seeing what only one woman did, they got scared, and fled from the walls of the Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin. According to another version, earlier, to strengthen the building, a living creature was buried in the foundation, which was the first to come to the building. A girl passed by who wanted to collect water in the river, she was buried alive, throwing a manger and buckets into the pit.